|Take your prenatal vitamin everyday. There is 1mg. of Folic Acid/tablet. Most Prenatal vitamins no longer contain calcium as Iron and Calcium inhibit the absorption of each other. Some might contain about 250 mg of calcium/tablet. |
You will need to take 1500mg. of calcium each day. To obtain this you can take it in supplements, such as Viactiv, Caltrate, Oscal, 3-4 cups of a dairy product or 3 Tums each day.
You may need to take extra iron during your pregnancy. As iron and calcium inhibit the absorption of each other, do not take them together. We recommend taking iron and Vitamin C (1 cup of orange juice or 250mg Vit. C tablets) together as this will help your body absorb the iron better.
- Avoid spicy of fried foods.
- Sleep on 3-4 pillows at night. You want to raise yourself from the waist up.
- DO NOT lie down immediately after a meal; wait about 3-4 hours.
- Avoid late meals.
- Try eating smaller meals throughout the day, so as not to overfill your
- If you still have heartburn, you can take Mylanta 2 TBS. one hour before
- and 2 hours after meals.
- If heartburn persists, you can take Pepcid AC, as directed.
- Drink at least 8 (8 oz.) cups of water each day.
- Obtain fiber by eating whole grain cereals/breads, fresh fruits/vegetables.
- You can take Metamucil/Citracal, but you will need to increase your water
- You can try prunes/prune juice or 5 dried apricots/day.
- In any case, you can take Colace 100mg. capsules. Start with one at night,
- if that does not work, you can take Colace up to 3 times/day.
- Drink, at least, 8 (8oz.) cups of water each day.
- Get your fiber. (See above).
- Do not strain when you are having a bowel movement.
- You can take warm baths.
- You can use Preparation H.
Suppositories have been found to work best, place after a bowel movement. If these do not work, or the hemorrhoids persist for more than one week, please call the office for a prescription. You can also try Vinegar on a gauze pad with an ice pack.
FOR LEG CRAMPS
- One extra serving of Calcium/day.
- Magnesium: You need at least 320-340mg. each day.
- Calf stretches, done immediately, can help relieve the cramps.
You can take a combination of Calcium/Magnesium; these tablets can be found in most Health Food Stores or Drug Stores. Make sure the Magnesium is half the Calcium. For example: Calcium 600mg/Magnesium 300mg.
- Tylenol, as directed, with a cup of Coca Cola/Pepsi/Coffee.
- Remember: no more than 2 cups of caffeine drink/day.
- You can take Extra Strength Tylenol as directed.
- Do not exceed 8 tablets/day.
If you have a fever of 100.4 or greater, please call the office.
You can take Regular Strength Tylenol for fevers, as directed.
Not all herbs are recommended during pregnancy or lactation, please call the office before trying any herbal remedies.
While pregnant, ALWAYS use the lap and shoulder belt when traveling in a car. Keep the lap belt under the baby (your belly) as snug as possible.
As we are a high risk practice, each patient needs to be treated on an individual basis, especially when it comes to medication. Please call the office if you feel you need to take any medications other than what the physician has specifically instructed you to.